We had an interesting drive across western Kansas this afternoon. Western Kansas really is flat, and the weather is dramatic! We could see a storm in the distance over 50 miles ahead of us. The cloud patterns, the dark skies, the bursts of rainbows that would come up off the ground were quite a sight to see. And then the extreme hail arrived! This Texan was very late in finding shelter. I guess the other cars and trucks knew it was coming because I couldn't find any space left under the overpasses, gas stations, etc. Thankfully the hail passed quickly. I was just so surprised to see even freight trucks had pulled over on the highway.
We needed some comic relief and found it! Wilson, Kansas is very proud to display the "World's Largest Czech Egg". Luckily the rain had passed, and we were able to check it out:
Mark your calendars -- Wilson's Czech Fest is the last weekend in July every year. :)
Some funny marketing phrases seen on the road today:
"Stop in Wakeeney. It's Affordable!" (ad for the city of Wakeeney, KS -- not exactly exciting)
"Visit the Pharmacy and Old Time Soda Shop -- Stop in and Taste the Past!" (Eeew ... I don't want to taste the past ... I can't remember the city)
Tonight is our last night in a hotel! The boys had to swim, of course, after being in the car all day. H is doing his best to be an Olympic swimmer. He's got the Olympic relay strokes perfected. Such a little boy!
We are excited to be home tomorrow!!
No comments:
Post a Comment